Women Speak: Climate Justice on the Road to Paris & Beyond- NYC Event September 29th 2015
Honored speakers at WECAN event in NYC, September 2014
Join WECAN International on September 29th for 'Women Speak: Climate Justice On The Road To Paris and Beyond'. This will be an extraordinary afternoon of women leaders joined in solidarity to speak out against environmentally and socially destructive activities and policies, and to present the diverse array of visions and strategies with which they are working to shape a healthy and equitable world. The WECAN Women's Climate Action Agenda will also be shared and discussed as a tool for systemic change. This special event is part of WECAN's call for a Global Women's Climate Justice Day of Action, with events happening on this day worldwide.
This event will be held September 29, 2015 from 1pm - 5 pm ET at the United Nations Church Center, 777 1st Avenue, E 44th Street, New York City
Speakers to date include:
- Mary Robinson, Mary Robinson Foundation-Climate Justice, former President of Ireland (joining via special video message)
- Patricia Gualinga, Indigenous leader from Sarayaku, Ecuador
- Melina Laboucan-Massismo, Lubicon Cree First Nations Indigenous and environmental activist with Greenpeace Canada
- May Boeve, 350.org
- Jacqui Patterson, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Environmental & Climate Justice Program
- Thilmeeza Hussein, Voice of Women Maldives
- Neha Misra, Solar Sister
- Cherri Foytlin, The Mothers Project, Idle No More Gulf Coast
- Molly Dorozenski, Greenpeace
- Diane Moss, Renewables 100 Policy Institute
- Bridget Burns, Women & Gender Constituency, WEDO
- Osprey Orielle Lake, Women's Earth & Climate Action Network
- Sally Ranney, Women's Earth & Climate Action Network
- Opening ceremony by Janice Turner, citizen of The Lenape Indian Tribe of Delaware and resident of ancestral territory in the Hudson Valley of New York
- Music by Bethany Yarrow and Rufus Cappadocia
This event is free and open to the public, however due to UN security in this part of the city, registration is required.
You must register to attend, and bring your printed invitation and photo ID with you on the day of the event.
The event starts at 1:00 and attendees will need to meet starting at 12:00 and onward every 15 minutes to be ushered into the Church Center of the United Nations. Please meet at East 44th and 2nd streets starting at 12:00 noon to meet the usher and pass through UN security. If for some reason security has changed this day, please come directly to the venue.
Seating will be arranged on a first come, first serve basis, so be sure to arrive early.
our growing network of women for climate justice and solutions.
News & Action Alerts
Tweets by @IWECI