1 Billion Rising for Climate Justice
Women and Climate Justice Actions in collaboration with 1 Billion Rising 2014
Eve Ensler, founder of the 1 Billion Women Rising campaign, invited WECAN to lead one of the segments of the worldwide Rising Action on February 14, 2014. WECAN organized over a dozen actions internationally for Women and Climate Justice and documented women-led solutions, testimonies and successes in the field of environmental/climate justice throughout the world. The Day of Action was also dedicated to the signing of WECAN’s Declaration, “Women of the World Call for Urgent Action on Climate Change & Sustainability Solutions” http://wecaninternational.org/declaration. Events took place from Morocco to Ecuador from the Maldives to Congo.
Former President Nasheed from the Maldives attended one of the actions and signed the WECAN Declaration along with the Environmental Minister from the Maldives who said he will take our demands to the UN.
- Women farmers highlighting the importance of local organic farms to food sovereignty and food security
- Women demonstrating how they and their families are being affected by the tar sands and pipelines developments in Canada
- Highlighting solar projects in Africa
- Calling on communities to plant certain trees and flowers that absorb large amounts of CO2
- Congolese women calling for protection of the forests of Congo
- Indigenous women mobilizing in Ecuador to protect the Amazon from fossil fuel leasing and development
- Women in Arab countries calling for women and climate change education
- Making the link between violence against women and climate change
Additionally, WECAN held a direct action at the last UN Climate Negotiations in Warsaw inside the convention center where women leaders demanded that governments approach the negotiations from a climate justice perspective and read the WECAN Climate Declaration out loud.