Women's Earth & Climate Action Network, International
The Women's Earth & Climate Action Network is a solutions-based, multi-faceted effort established to engage women worldwide to take action as powerful stakeholders in climate change and sustainability solutions. For Our Earth and Future Generations A project of Women's Earth and Climate Caucus and its partner eraGlobal Alliance
« Fresh Water, Oceans, Climate Science

Multinationals taking over regional water supplies

photo of Pamela Lawson

Started by: heilighof77

Description:

I was watching a documentary in The Netherlands, where I live, and was shocked to find out that a multinational is draining groundwater in the USA nature reservations to bottle it and then sell it at high prices to consumers. The same they do in India, Africa and other underdeveloped countries, so that that poor people have no access to water unless they buy the pricy bottled water. The right to clean drinking water is a human right and why do governments sell the water rights to big multinationals so they can make big profits.? Thankfully women have taken action and taken on the big multnationals and in some States of the USA have won their case. I think it is time that other States are doing the same in preventing multinationals to have access to water reservoirs which are meant for local people and local farmers. In the underdveloped countries people are forced, because of this and with the approval of the government, children and women have no access to clean water, because they cannot afford very pricy bottled water.

Reasons for working in this topic, project or business:

Lobbying political parties and government officials.

Root causes of the problems in this field and main barriers:

The documentary which shocked me

What is needed to overcome barriers to implement solutions:

We need a wake up call that this is happening.

Specific needs and/or support requests:

To address this issue at all levels and like on twitter start debating about it.

Suggested best local solution for this topic:

I think first of all we must confront the goverment and politicians in the States and all other countries to stop selling our water for high bidding prices. Address the multinationals that water is a human right and not for sale and to make profiit out if it, certainly in underdeveloping countries where local farmers are depending on groundwater to spray their crops so they can sell their products on the market and feed their families

Discussion

You must be logged in to post comments. Login now.

Pamela Lawson posted

Africa zanella posted

Dear Pamela The multinationals are not at fault but the government in the place where the water is being extracted as they would have had to obtain a license. Finding out how long is the term of this license and the getting the community involved in an awareness campaign to either revoke or stop renewal would be one of the first steps that I would take. Good luck.