Women's Earth & Climate Action Network, International
The Women's Earth & Climate Action Network is a solutions-based, multi-faceted effort established to engage women worldwide to take action as powerful stakeholders in climate change and sustainability solutions. For Our Earth and Future Generations A project of Women's Earth and Climate Caucus and its partner eraGlobal Alliance
« Stories, Media and Messaging -- Communicating Climate Change, Solutions and New Cultural Narratives

transition from fossil capitalism to solar commoning

Started by: terisatu

Description:

I am a petroleum economist who has worked on stopping oil to Apartheid South Africa and am now committed to action to keep fossil fuels in the ground as one part of the global struggle to get out of capitalist relations and spread commoning throughout the world.

Reasons for working in this topic, project or business:

It is necessary to support all life.

Root causes of the problems in this field and main barriers:

Capitalist relations that deliver violence and death, notably as manifest in the climate crisis.

What is needed to overcome barriers to implement solutions:

Key to making a recommoning initiative successful is the dissemination of as mind set that the most marginalized and despised under capitalist relations - the indigenous woman and woman of color - are both most motivated and most competent to elaborate commoning. This means pursuing initiatives by such women and supporting their campaigns (our campaigns) in every way possible.

Specific needs and/or support requests:

Others and espercially so-called white people and amongst them, men; need to understand that the campaigns of indigenous women (select not all) and women of color along with their allies amongst poor white women are campaigns that have the potential to save life and the Earth and get behind these initiatives.

Suggested best local solution for this topic:

Solutions focus on keeping fossil fuels in the ground, and secondarily, breaking up the infrastructure of fossil capitalism while simultaneously elaborating commoning ways of doing things.

Networking opportunities:

Business is the problem not the solution. Let us prioritize action that is intended to support and defend life, not profit.

Discussion

You must be logged in to post comments. Login now.

Yanna Fabian posted

I feel business is a actually a solution. I mean who doesn't want to make money? Creating new jobs and helping the planet is a win-win. I see a massive movement, supported by very powerful companies, which already realized, renewable clean energy is the only sustainable way for our future. Also it might be a good idea to focus on creating & sharing solutions rather than expressing fear and issues. Positive message just works better, in business and in environmental protection. Thanks for reading and lots of joy to all the ladies! PS: I'm new here at WECAN and very grateful for this wonderful network.

Yanna Fabian posted

I feel business is a actually a solution. I mean who doesn't want to make money? Creating new jobs and helping the planet is a win-win. I see a massive movement, supported by very powerful companies, which already realized, renewable clean energy is the only sustainable way for our future. Also it might be a good idea to focus on creating & sharing solutions rather than expressing fear and issues. Positive message just works better, in business and in environmental protection. Thanks for reading and lots of joy to all the ladies! PS: I'm new here at WECAN and very grateful for this wonderful network.